It’s our last week of regular classes! Next week, we move into workshop days for your final portfolio preparations…so let’s make our last week count.
We’ll spend this week discussing writing for the Web. We’ve integrated these issues into our class all along, I think, but we will spend some time specifically examining how you might develop and write for online media projects, such as multimedia news packages or traffic-generating blog posts.
In our first couple of classes this week, we’ll look at multimedia news packages and consider the many ways we can tell stories online beyond just text. Here are some items we’ll use in class:
Anatomy of Multimedia News
- Washington Post: Traumatic Brain Injury
- Los Angeles Times: California Budget Balancer
- San Jose Mercury News: Torn Apart
- Global Post: The Drone Wars
- ProPublica: Fracking
- New York Times: The Maestro’s Mojo
- Los Angeles Times: pop.u.LA.tion
- The Guardian: London 2012 Olympics
Later in the week, we’ll discuss shorter forms of writing – like blog posts – and how to best write them to bring in readers and convey information efficiently. And, finally, we’ll address our last grammar topics. You know you want to watch Passive Pete again.